RSS Feed

Recommend To A Friend

May 26, 2014 by Mr Richo   

Here is the homework item 5R.

Often students complain that they don’t have a book to read, or that they don’t know any good novels or chapter books to read.

For homework this week we would like you to write a “Recommend to a friend” review, recommending a book to the Grade 5 students that you have enjoyed (see below for details of what to include). Even after this week of homework, feel free to have a look back over the reviews to find a new book to read, you might like to even add a new review after you have finished another book. Don’t forget to check out all of the Grade 5 blogs for book suggestions.

Enjoying what you read is really important! If you’re not enjoying a book, then it is hard to finish it. When you enjoy what you reading, it encourages you to continue to read AND to read nightly! We expect that you read 30 minutes every night in Grade Five – and record in your Reading Diary App.

Image from: readalert.blogs.slv.vic.gov.au

Each comment must include:

1. The title and author of the book

2. A SUMMARY of what the book is about (not giving away any crucial information) – be sure to include genre

3. Reasons WHY you would recommend it to a friend

4.  A star rating out of 5 stars

36 Comments »

1. Matthew says:

I recommend the book dairy of a wimpy kid to all of you that don’t know what it is it is about a boy named Greg and he talks about his life and every thing that happens the author is Paul Jennings the rating I am giving it is a five out of five because it is a very funny book.

2. Keeley says:

I recommend just stupid by andy griffiths.
    This book is a collection of really silly stories with different characters in each chapter of the story.
    I recommend this because it is a bunch of really funny stories and because they are short stories you don’t get too bored.
    I give this book a 4.5 / 5.

3. Olivia says:

I recommend the book: The Girl That Could Fly.
    The book is about: Piper (the main character) can fly. Her parents discovers that she can fly (more like float) when she is a baby. She isn’t aloud to play with all the other children.
    The author is Victoria Forester. I give it a 4 out of 5 star rating because it is a very intriguing book.

4. Bailey says:

I recommend goosebumps because it’s funny, descriptive and breathtaking. There is also a collection of goosebumps books

I give it

5. Bethany says:

I recommend Mr Pink Whistle by Enid Blython. The genre is humorous, magical and adventurous. The main character is Mr Pink Whistle. Mr Pink Whistle is a person who makes things right with his magical abilities. I recommend this book to a friend because it’s funny, clever and mischievous. Not only is this book a fun book to read but it also has some lessons that could be learnt. I give this book a rating four out of five because of the reasons above.

6. Riley says:

The book that I would recommend to a friend is called TOM GATES EXTRA SPIECAL the Aurthor is L.Pichon. It is about a boy named Tom, his sister Delia, his friend Derek and an annoying boy called Marcus. Tom and Derek like to eat junk food like caramel wafers and chocolate covered raisins. Delia blames everything on her brother Tom. Marcus is in Toms class at school and he brags about getting the star pupil badge. This book is funny and has a lot of jokes and great illustrations on every page. I would give this book a star rating of ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ out of five.

7. LOCHY DENKÉ says:

The book I recommend is Goosebumps (like bailey). I would reccomend this book beacuse it is scary and it can give you GOOSEBUMPS. This is a series and a really good one because there are many of them and they all have diffirent characters. I would give this series a 4/5 and I have read many of them.

8. Flick says:

I recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth.
    It is about a girl Trist that takes a test that determines where she will stay/be for the rest of her life! I won’t tall you what what her result is.
    I recommend Divergent because
    *it’s action packed
    *interesting
    *and fun to read
    If you like the book you can read the two other books Insurgent and Allegent. If you love those you can watch the movie but WARNING it is rated 15+!
    I give it 5/5

9. EMMA Mitchell says:

The book a recommend to be a friend is “Bindi Game Over.” I think this because it’s scary, sad ,happy and exciting book. The book is really really fun to read. The Author is Bindi Irwin. There are many books but this ones my Favorite because it’s about saving horses and other African animals. In the story I see how much bindi and her family love to work with animals, and love animals. I rate this book

10. Bella says:

I recommend the book divergent, it’s about this girl named Tris (Beatrice) and she’s divergent which means she’s all of the factions, the five factions are:
    1. Eurdite.
    2. Candor.
    3. Dauntless.
    4. Abnegation.
    5. Amity.
    Everyone wants divergents dead, she goes on a journey to try to survive this a action, fun and interesting book it is also a movies that’s why I recommend divergent.

• Bella says:

I recommend Divergent written by Veronica Roth, it’s about Tris (Beatrice) she’s divergent which means she’s all factions, the five factions are:
      1. Abnegation.
      2. Candor.
      3. Dauntless.
      4. Amity.
      5. Erudite.
      Everybody wants divergents dead she goes on a journey to try to survive, I rate this 4/5, it’s a great book and has a lot of action in it I enjoy reading this book that’s why I’m recommending it to all of use.

11. Adam says:

My favorite books would have to be the Hunger Games series by Suzane Collins,
    It is a exciting series with a thrilling feel as you read. It is about a two teenagers that are sent into and arena for a battle to death for the people of Panem own fun, ( Panem is a make believe city ). I’d recommend this to every one because it is a fantastic series.

12. Adam says:

My favourite books would have to be the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins,
    It is an exciting breathtaking series with a thrilling and tense feel as you read every page. It is about two teenagers going to fight to the death in an area for a wealthy city’s own fun and amusement. I would recommend this to all my friends because the books are fantastic.

13. Oz says:

I recommend diary of a wimpy kid (like Matthew). I recommend this because it is a funny book and it tells you about a kids life. It also has lots of interesting and funny stuff in it.

14. Oz says:

I forgot to give it a rating I thinks it’s 4/5

15. Georgia says:

The book that I would recommend for children my age would be the Adventures of Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. Nicholas is an Alchemyst (Magician.) how is trying to retreave the missing pages of the codex which is a magical book that keeps life in balance. Dee (The bad guy) wants to get the codex and destroy the world. This book is a fantasy/mystery story. It is a book I would recommend to my freinds because it is one of those books that you can NEVER PUT DOWN!! That’s why I rate the adventures of Nicholas Flamel a 4 out of 5!!

16. Nikola says:

The book I recemend is Stay well soon. I only got this book recently, but I really enjoyed. It’s about a girl in grade five who has always wanted a horse. Her mum was going to buy her one but then her brother got sick. I really enjoyed this book and I think you will too.

17. Sophie inwood says:

The book that I recommend is black beauty by Anna Sewell,
    It is such an great book. But it is very sad. This is what it’s about,
    + it’s a book that is about a horse named black beauty. He gets born in a luscious paddock with his dam until he gets taken away…. And so on I don’t want to tell you to much because I don’t want to spoil it!
    It’s a book that you could sit their reading for hours!
    But if your an animal lover like me well (horse lover) make sure you have some tissues! I give it a 4/5 star rating….YOU BETTER READ IT!!!!!!!!

18. Aidan says:

I strongly recommend diary of a wimpy kid (rodrick rules). The author is Jeff Kinney and It is about a kid named Greg and his brother rodrick always bullying and embarrassing Him. Greg is always talking about his life and what he is going to. I would rate this book 4 out of 5 star rating….I HOPE YOU READ IT.

19. Nikola says:

I forgot to give my book a rating sorry I give it 4/5

20. Amy says:

I am reading a amazing book called Gallipoli by Alan Tucker. This book obviously is about how life was a as soldier.It had great use of words and the book tells you how many soldiers were in war and also how old men were. I strongly recomend this book to a friend if they didn’t know how it was in a life as a soldier. The book also contains that most soldiers had a big fear and how a lot had horrors. I give this book a rating of 5/5 for comparing the wold to how it is now and how life was. P.S this book had dates and diarys in it.

21. Aleena says:

I would like to recommend the divergent series (divergent, insurgent and allegiant). This is an amazing book because…
    It’s fantastic for big readers.
    Has very surprising moments.
    Jaw dropping events.
    Interesting in every way.
    Exciting and thrilling.
    Never gets boring.
    I rate these books a 5/5.

22. Lara says:

the book I recommend would be Taylor swift written by Louisa Jepson, I would recommend this book because if you are a lover of books that are about a famous/real person you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE this book it is about her life as a child and how she became a famous singer and it is truly inspiring to listen to what she fought threw to get to be a famous artist and this is why I give taylor swift a 4 out of 5 star rating.