RSS Feed

Safer Internet Day

February 6, 2017 by Mr Richo   

SOCIAL MEDIA…

Below is the link to a B.T.N story.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4613095.htm

While you are watching this story you need to take notes on your notepad. Divide your notepad into 3 sections like this. During the story reflect on and organise the information you receive into one of these three catagories.

The following questions can be completed on your iPad and posted as a comment. These questions must be answered in full sentences, using part of the question in your answer.

1. About how many photos are uploaded online every day?
2. Give an example of a social media app that kids are uploading
photos to.
3. How did the kids in the BTN story react to the terms and
conditions of Instagram?
4. When you agree to terms and conditions, you’re basically signing
a ________________.
5. What has a law firm in the UK done to help kids understand what
they’re signing up to?
6. What were the kids surprised to discover about the terms and
conditions?
7. Do you use social media? If so, which ones?
8. How has your thinking changed about social media since watching the BTN
story?
9. Do you think social media companies should be doing more to
help young people understand what they’re signing up to? If you do, how come?

Comparing Social Media

You are going to research a range of different social media websites or apps, learn what they are used for, examine why age restrictions on these sites are important and what you know about the terms and conditions. Use this link to help you with your research.

https://esafety.gov.au/esafety-information/games-apps-and-social-networking

Your work will be completed in your inquiry book and should be set out similar to this.

Now that you have learnt all about social media, you can design your own digital footprint. What marks do you leave on the internet?

5 Comments »

1. phomek16 says:

1.There are about 200 billion photos uploaded everyday.
    2.An example of social media app that kids upload photos to is Instagram.
    3. When the kids in the BTN story saw the terms and conditions of Instagram, they reacted scared that anyone could see their photos.
    4.When you agree to the terms and conditions you’re basically signing a contract.
    5. The law firm in the UK has made a different terms and conditions sheet to help kids understand what they are signing up to.
    6.The kids were surprised to discover that the terms and conditions were talking about everyone could see what they were doing and they could save their posts.
    7.I use Snapchat and Skype to message my friends and family.
    8. My thinking has changed a lot, next time I will read the terms and conditions carefully.
    9.I think social media companies should be doing more to help young people understand what they are signing up to because they could buy the app and not know what they are doing because the terms and conditions were too hard to read.

2. Thomas says:

About how many photos are uploaded online every day?
    Social Media Agreements!

There are 2,000,000,000 photos uploaded every day on the internet.

2. Give an example of a social media app that kids are uploading photos to.

An example of an social media app that the kids are uploading to is Instagram.

3. How did the kids in the BTN story react to the terms and conditions of Instagram?

When the kids in the btn story read the terms and conditions they couldn’t really understand it.

4. When you agree to terms and conditions, you’re basically signing a contract.

5. What has a law firm in the UK done to help kids understand what they’re signing up to?

The UK have made it easier for kids to understand the contract and to know what you are signing.

6. What were the kids surprised to discover about the terms and conditions?

The kids were surprised that if they sign the contract someone can get the photo or video and upload it to social media again.

The social media that i use is snapchat to communicate with my cousins and other family and friends.

8. How has your thinking changed about social media since watching the BTN story?

Yes, If i ever get more social media apps i will read the terms and conditions before i agree to it and make sure it is safe.

9. Do you think social media companies should be doing more to help young people understand what they’re signing up to? If you do, how come?

I think social media companies should make sure that there social media is more safe and should restrict it from app store for little kids so they can’t get it.

thomas

3. Joshua W says:

Mr Richardson this is my work for Social Media

There are about 2,000,000,000 photos uploaded every day

photos to.
    SnapChat, Twitter and Instagram

conditions of Instagram?

They were sort of worried when they found out people could be using their photos
    And see there photos with out them even knowing

a form saying every one that uses this app have the approval to look and use every
    photo you upload .

they’re signing up to?
    They put the terms and conditions in a way, where kids can understand the terms and conditions
    before it was only written in a way where only adults could read to prove a point that kids
    Shouldn’t be using any social media because they will get out of hand and don’t understand what they are doing, how much information they are giving to the word and the use of social media

conditions?
    They were surprised when they saw what they were signing up to and to see that the world
    can see every single picture they upload. Most kids only want friends to see these picture but understand what the consequences are if you post to much info on your life and where you’ve been and where you live.

7. Do you use social media? If so, which one?

I only use YouTube to show my gaming talents but in my opinion doing things like this is fine,
    If someone wants to by a game watch a YouTube video on it to see if your not wasting money
    The other social media apps are almost useless there are so many other apps like facebook. They are all just competing against each other. YouTube can also be used if you don’t know how to do something your almost guaranteed a video in how to do it.

story?
    My thinking about social media didn’t change at all I always knew these apps were dangerous
    And pointless. I knew that every one can see your photos and it’s dumb why people can take then
    and try to impersonate being you by copying your photos and what you say

No I don’t I think they are doing it just fine but it’s the kids that should change any can use these apps but only in the right way kids shouldn’t be able to use these apps there for, there is no
    need to change any thing about social media only the way it is used.
    By Josh W

4. Bella says:

Dear Mr.Richardson
    Here are my answers to the social media task BTN.
    1. About how many photos are posted on social media every single day?
    About 2 billion photos are posted on social media every day.
    photos to.
    Kids are uploading pictures on Instagram.
    conditions of Instagram?
    The kids reacted kind of anoyed about the terms and conditions of Instagram that people have to read a lot of words and pages.
    a contract.
    they’re signing up to?
    A law firm in UK has made one page of terms and conditions so that people can understand it better and don’t have to read so many difficult words.
    conditions?
    Kids were surprised that people can save your photos and send them to companies, and that they can read personal messages and things like that.
    Yes I use social media I use messages, FaceTime, WhatsApp, Phone, I rarely use mail but I do check my mail, I use Pinterest but I share an account with my mum and I have a secret board to save my things because I’m not old enough to have my own account and iCloud that’s it.
    story?
    Well now I know what people can see online and what they can do, I also have to be careful what I send to people.
    I don’t agree that social media should help younger people be able to go on social media because children don’t always know what to post online and children could be in danger if they post personal things because the are bad people out there.

From Bella.V

5. chawal16 says:

Mr Richo

About how many photos are uploaded online every day? About two million photos are uploaded to social media every day.
    photos to. An example of social media apps kids are uploading photos to are: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
    3. How did the kids in BTN story react to the terms and
    conditions of Instagram? I think they reacted with surprise and worry when they found out that anybody could use their photos for anything they wanted.
    a contract.
    they’re signing up to? The firm in the U.K. has made a shorter terms and conditions to make it easier to understand for kids.
    conditions? They were surprised to discover that their so called “privet” accounts can be looked into by strangers.
    7. Do you use social media? If so, which ones? Yes, I play a public game called War Dragons, if that counts. I make sure to be careful on the game because although it is fun, there are still some dangerous people out there…
    story? I think I need to watch out more when I start going on social media when I’m thirteen.
    help young people understand what they’re signing up to? If you do, how come? Yes, I think the social media companies need to do more. I think this because all those other companies can have access to everything you put on social media.

From Charlotte